Interesting Red Panda Facts
– The Red Panda is about the size of a raccoon and weighs 7 to 14 pounds. They are about 20 to 26 inches long with their tail an additional 12 to 20 inches.
– Their other names include: Bear-cat, Bright Panda, Cat-bear, Fire Fox, Lesser Panda, Petit Panda and Poonya.
– Their claws are partially retractable. They have an extended bone which is like a “thumb.”
– Red pandas live 12 to 14 years.
– Over the winter red pandas often lose up to 15% of their body weight.
– Red pandas are endangered mainly due to loss of habitat, but also due to hunting for their fur to make hats, etc.
– Red pandas are most active in the early morning and late afternoon. They sleep in trees with their tails curled around themselves.
– They communicate using body language and a variety of sounds, including a warning whistle.
– The red panda’s tail helps its balance when climbing. Red pandas move slowly on the ground.